Saturday, May 29, 2010

Carbon Bike Frame Project: Part 2 | Change of mind, Material of Frame

For those who came to this page first. It will be good to read up on Part 1 before carrying on.
Part 1 had left me hanging for another couple of weeks before i stubble randomly into some Chinese Carbon Frame Manufacturing Site. Saw this frame, which made me pause for a moment. Rethink the material, possibility of using carbon as my choice of material.


Noticed the nice Matt carbon finish? Unlike the usual 3k and 12k finishing. They are able to product Matt finishing, which they claimed as UD (unidirectional). Similar finishing as BMC SLC (one of my dream frame). But of course, not the same technology used, nano-carbon. But seriously who cares, if its cheap! haha~

Received some critics on the weaving of frame which claimed to have effect on structural strength. From my knowledge (back then), I understand that the weaving only affect the external look. However, few says the weaving pattern, 3k and 12k, 3k produce stronger and stiffer frames. However after seeing the above picture, i sets me wondering whether weaving really does play a role in frame strength?

Hence i decided to make use of my off day to do a research on carbon frame structure and weaving pattern. All you need to do is just open a new tab and type in the URL, www.google.com

I have arranged the sites and forums in order to have a better flow of idea on carbon weaving properties. Basically, the sites are branched out from the forum.

  1. Bike Forum
  2. Stork Bicycle
  3. Weightweenie Forum
  4. Calfee Design
  5. Toray Carbon Fiber
  6. Properties of Carbon Fiber
*Easier to start off reading Stork Bicycle and Calfee Design as they are meant for consumers.

My conclusion is, Strength of frame cant be judged by the weaving pattern, they only provide cosmetic look and riding feel. Instead we should be looking at the grade of the carbon fiber used e.g. T700, (read Toray Carbon Fiber) and the Tensile Modulus (measured in MSI, read Calfee Design and Properties of Carbon Fiber)

12k is not as weak as we think. They are cheap and slightly heavier. Console myself for having it. haha!

No comments: